Dual Credit Enrollment
Simply put, Yorktown Education provides the highest level of academic achievement for students, based on their personal potential.
1. Yorktown’s curriculum standards are higher than other Texas Schools. The core curriculum is targeted towards the College Board’s Advanced Placement standards and the new National Common Core standards. These are the standards colleges prefer. Other Texas schools follow the Texas State standards. Texas State standards are lower than national standards. Yorktown Education will not lower our academic levels to other schools.
2. Yorktown wants all students to earn A grades in every subject. Our mastery program aims for students to learn at a 90% plus level and we find almost every student can do this in almost every subject. This can be achieved without long hours of homework. Teachers review tests and assignments with each student and the student may rework the assignment to reach a higher level of understanding.
3. Yorktown students often work to higher-grade levels in subjects they like, or have already mastered. Our policy of allowing students to move ahead keeps them engaged and happy, not bored with school. After a year at Yorktown, students have typically reached higher-grade levels of achievement and passed their peers at other Texas schools. Yorktown students may reach several grade levels above their same aged peers at other leading private schools.
4. Yorktown Education’s dual enrollment college credit program puts our students above other schools. Our students can take more college classes, and a wider variety of college classes, than any other high school in Texas. Yorktown students do better in their college courses than other leading schools. Our grade point average for courses graded by the college, in the dual enrollment program, is higher than any other Texas high school. Yorktown pays for our student’s first 12 college credits. Yorktown wants all our students to be ahead of others for college admissions.
5. Yorktown students receive more direct individual and small group instruction from teachers than any other non-special education school. Other schools would have to lower their student teacher ratio to approximately 3 to 1, to approach the time our students get with teachers. We use technology to off load teacher lectures, and free our teachers to work directly with students – one on one and in small groups.
6. Yorktown wants students to receive in-depth learning in special interest subjects. Yorktown students develop “Something They Love” so they are positioned for preferred college admissions and scholarships. This also puts students on track for happy successful lives. Student studies have included engineering, computers, medicine, and fashion design. They have also included computer animation, movie production, and theater (after our second year, one alumni became an actor in a TV series). Yorktown can provide specialized education, experience and high school credit in almost any area of interest. We do this internally, with third party partners, college dual enrollment programs and customized course practicums.
Simply put, there is no other school with Yorktown Education’s academic program and profile. Come and reach your potential at Yorktown Education!